This salad is a delicious mix of flavors and textures. The fragrant curry mixed with the scent of cilantro and mint create an appetizing aroma. Tartness from the green apple, combined with the citrus from the lime were complemented by the sweet mint and blend of spices in the garam masala. The texture combined a crisp crunch from the celery, apple and cashews with a mix of softer bites from the raisins and quinoa. A delicious and healthy salad to make again and again!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- a dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 1/2 bunch kale cleaned, stems and veins removed and torn into small pieces*
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 1 fresh organic lime – juice and zest
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced (Granny Smith. is one of the most anti-angiogenic apples you can eat. Also, apple peels activate Maspin, a tumor suppressor gene)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 teaspoon garam marsala
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Bring the water/stock and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and let cook for 15 min. Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 min. Fluff with fork
Mix cashews with oil, curry and cayenne. Roast in oven on 400 until lightly toasted. Watch closely to prevent overcooking.
Place quinoa in bowl and toss with kale. Add onion, celery, apple, lime zest and juice, raisins, cilantro, mint, garam marsala, salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat.
Fold in 1/2 of the cashews. Garnish with remaining cashews and sprig of mint.
*Massaging the kale with your fingers prior to cutting will make it less bitter.